Yesterday I finally decided an approximately color scheme for my Pig Iron Kolony Militia troops, from pig iron. I wanted to use them as the lawful evil power in a post-apocalyptic world: much more well-equipped than the scavenger, but not as elite as the Rambo-style mercs. Something like the armored troops in Jin Roh.
The point was: a really dark color scheme implies some kind of contrast in the base, unless you want to have a black miniature on the tabletop. For it wasn’t my plan, I was thinking about a desert ground, or a colorful mechanical mess. Then I had an idea: why don’t I just keep with the dark base, but with some really visible points of light? Something like glow sticks?
I’ve never tried OSL before, but i found a really simple article, which is great to start. It is nothing brilliant, just a good suggestion on the way for making a good halo.
I started with a square piece of Eulithe (look at this article for a short review!). I used a scrap piece,with size 4×4 cm.
With a metal brush I textured the surface. I wanted to give a “concrete” look, trying to achieve a better accuracy than what Idid with my MDF technique.
Wwith a generic carving tool I made some cracks on the surface. It was like carving a piece of cake. A really soft one.
In the while I prepared some glow sticks: those are simple pieces of styrene rods, 5mm long
Then primed with black acrylic.
Note: Eulithe hasn’t problems with can sprays, so you can also use a standard spray primer rather than using the brush.
Then, painting with some sponge. Starting with a Shadow grey layer, really thin, then an even thinner one with a bit of bleached bone.
It works quite well, but the final look is really nighty! It looks perfect for a diorama, but unless you want to paint a whole table with that tonality, you should add more light on the ground.
Anyway, that’s the way I did it, and so I continued, painting the glow sticks. Starting with dark angel green, then snot green, then scorpion with a tip of bleached bone. As explained in the tutorial linked at the beginning of this article.
Finally, the OSL: it was unexpectedly simple to paint, probably because of the flat surface and the bright color chosen. After just some passages, with really thinned paints, the result was convincing.
Probably for the Kolony bases I will go with a lighter ground tone, and maybe I will not use the foam for the concrete. Overall, I’m really happy with the result, and I will probably make more experiments with the OSL in the future!
The Lazy Forger
WORK IN PROGRESS.
The site is being reworked entirely. It might require a wile before all the tutorials will be back online.